TV5MONDE Program Highlights - June 2023
Calamity—June 11 at 8:30pm ET/5:30pm PT
- United States, 1863. A convoy is heading west. When Martha Jane's father is injured, the young woman takes over the family wagon without hesitation. But when she dares to wear trousers, more practical for riding, it is too much for Abraham, the leader of the convoy...
Director: Rémi Chayé (France/Denmark, 2020)
Cast: Salomé Boulven, Alexandra Lamy, Alexis Tomassian
Awards: 2020 Annecy Cristal for Best Feature, 2021 César Best Animated Film Nominee
Twist à Bamako—June 18 at 8:30pm ET/5:30pm PT
US TV Premiere
- 1962. In newly independent Mali, the Bamako youth dances the twist to western music whilst Samba, son of a wealthy shopkeeper, travels the country to explain the virtues of socialism to small farmers. And then, in the region of Bambara, that he suddenly meets Lara, a young woman forced into marriage...
Director: Robert Guédiguian (France, Canada, Senegal, 2021, US release date Feb 2023)
Cast: Stéphane Bak, Alice Da Luz, Saabo Balde, Issaka Sawadogo
Awards: 2022 Oslo Films from the South Silver Mirror Award Best Feature Nominee
Wilder—June 11, 18 & 25 at 11:30pm ET/8:30pm PT
Season 4 premiere
Also streaming on TV5MONDEplus: https://www.tv5mondeplus.com/en/details/vod/106927673_74079A
- The investigations of Rosa Wilder, a police inspector from Berne. Now back in her small hometown in the Swiss Alps, she faces a succession of particularly dark crimes. The series weaves close ties between the setting, the investigations, and Rosa Wilder's private life.
Director: Claudio Fäh, Mauro Mueller (Switzerland 2022)
Cast: Sarah Spale, Marcus Signer, Andreas Matti, Jonathan Loosli
Genre: Crime & Thriller
Échappées belles—Saturdays starting June 2 at 11:30pm ET/8:30pm PT, and Sundays starting June 3 at 8:30pm ET/5:30pm PT
- Discover a city or region, discover a wild country, make a getaway off the beaten track, "Échappées belles" (Great escapes) offers a breath of fresh air to the traveler who sleeps in all of us.
Presenter: Sophie Jovillard, Jérôme Pitorin, Ismaël Khelifa, Tiga (France 2022)
Genre: Travel series
Ballaké Sissoko, une histoire de Kora—June 20 at 3:00pm ET/12:00pm PT
Also streaming on TV5MONDEplus beginning June 7
- Virtuoso player of the kora, emblem of Mandingue culture, the Malian Ballaké Sissoko takes us on a unique voyage in search of the origins and development of this twenty-one string harp. Between tradition and innovation, an epic musical journey across the great plains of West Africa.
Director: Lucy Durán, Laurent Benhamou (France, 2023)
Queen Kidjo, le rythme absolu—June 21 3:00pm ET/12:00pm PT
- A portrait of Angélique Kidjo, the Beninese singer and winner of five Grammy Awards, who has delighted audiences for more than thirty years. This internationally renowned artist and energy activist has become a figurehead of the new African generation. We look back at her ideas and artistic choices.
Director: Claire Duguet (France, 2021)
Des racines & des ailes—June 21 & 28 at 8:30pm ET/5:30pm PT
Also streaming on TV5MONDEplus: https://www.tv5mondeplus.com/en/details/vod/106749550_74079A
- A program devoted to heritage, history, and knowledge, which combines a local focus with the wider picture. The reports feature people with a passion for what they do, cultural professionals, and proactive people who make the link between past and present.
Presenter: Carole Gaessler (France 2021)
Genre: Culture & Arts series
TV5 Monde Plus
Murder Party—Streaming beginning June 7
- Jeanne, a brilliant architect, has a new assignment: To renovate the sumptuous Daguerre mansion owned by an eccentric family, head of a board game empire.
Director: Nicolas Pleskof (France, 2022)
Cast: Alice Pol, Eddy Mitchell, Miou-Miou
Trois hommes et un couffin—Streaming beginning June 7
- The original “Three Men and a Baby,” three young bachelors living in Paris experience a serious lifestyle change after a baby is left on their doorstep.
Director: Coline Serreau (France, 1985)
Cast: Roland Giraud, Michel Boujenah, André Dussollier
Awards: 1986 Oscar Best Foreign Language Film Nominee, 1986 César Best Film Winner
Les tortues ninjas—Now Streaming Season 1:
- The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles became humanoid due to a strange pink chemical: the mutagen. Splinter, a rat and master in martial arts, welcomes them to the sewers of New York City and teaches them Ninjutsu, the art of the ninjas, to protect the neighborhood.
Creator: Kevin Eastman, Peter Laird, David Wise (United States, 1987-1996)
Au secours de Beatrice—Now Streaming Seasons 1-5: https://www.tv5mondeplus.com/en/details/vod/106716354_74079A
- The daily life of ER doctor Béatrice Clément.
Director: Alexis Durand-Brault (Canada, 2014)
Cast: Sophie Lorain, Gabriel Arcand, Pierre-Luc Brillant
In France with Madonna—Streaming beginning June 7
- For many years now France and French artists have been at the heart of Madonna's life. To celebrate the queen of pop's 40-year career, we look back at this connection, with personal stories from both friends and from those who have worked with her, shaping her artistic world.
Director: Élise Baudouin, Julie Delettre, Julie Lazare (France, 2022)
Narrator: Alysson Paradis
Homos en France—Streaming beginning June 16
Documentary and debate (presented by Julian Bugier) will be available to stream
- Ten years after the law on marriage for all, has it become simpler to be homosexual in France? The gay and lesbian population have greater visibility and media presence, but homophobic hate crimes continue to increase, meaning that coming-out, growing-up and affirming your homosexuality remains a long and solitary route.
Director: Aurélia Perreau (France, 2023)
Narrator: Vincent Dedienne
Basique, les sessions—Season 5 now streaming: https://www.tv5mondeplus.com/en/details/vod/106869004_74079A
- Discover the artists who will shape the musical scene of tomorrow. On stage at the Bus Palladium in Paris, these young performers from multi-faceted backgrounds talk about themselves, their careers, and their music, bringing us three live tracks including one cover version of their choice.
Genre: Music series
TV5 Monde Cinéma
Theme: Documentary films
Woman— available beginning June 2
- Woman is a worldwide project giving a voice to 2,000 women across 50 different countries. Despite its very large scale, the film offers an intimate portrait of those who constitute half of humanity.
Director: Yann Arthus Bertrand, Anastasia Mikova (2019)
Award: Venice Film Festival 2019 Official Selection
Solutions locales pour un désordre global— available beginning June 2
- Films full of warnings and disasters have been made and have served their purpose, but now it is time to show that solutions do exist.
Director: Coline Serreau (2010)
Award: São Paulo International Film Festival 2010 Best Foreign Documentary Winner
Une fois que tu sais— available beginning June 9
- Faced with the reality of climate change and the depletion of resources, director Emmanuel Cappellin explains that a collapse of our industrial civilization is inevitable.
Director: Emmanuel Cappellin (2020)
Award: Hong Kong International Film Festival 2020 Jury Prize Winner
Un peuple— available beginning June 9
- October 2018, France. Macron's government decrees a tax increase on the price of fuel, causing a wave of protests.
Director: Emmanuel Gras (2022)
Award: Dokufest International Documentary and Short Film Festival 2022 Truth Award Nominee
Tropique de la violence— available beginning June 16
- An orphan boy who was adopted by a loving nurse now must fend for himself in Mayotte after she dies.
Director: Manuel Schapira (2022)
Cast: Gilles-Alane Ngalamou Hippocrate, Céline Sallette, Dali Benssalah
Si c'était de l'amour— available beginning June 16
- Fifteen young dancers from different go on tour for choreographer Gisèle Vienne’s epic dance piece exploring the 90’s rave scene, “Crowd.”
Director: Patric Chiha (2022)
Award: Berlin International Film Festival 2022 Teddy Best Documentary Film Winner
Jean-Paul Gaultier: Freak & Chic— available beginning June 23
- This behind-the-scenes look follows an ambitious making of Gaultier’s haute couture cabaret for The Folies Bergère.
Director: Yann L'Hénoret (2018)
Docteur petiot— available beginning June 23
- Based on the life of Dr. Marcel Petiot, an M.D who promised to help his wealthy Jewish patients to flee occupied Paris. Instead, he murdered them while stealing their valuables. After the Liberation of France, he was condemned to death.
Director: Christian de Chalonge (1990)
Cast: Michel Serrault, Pierre Romans, Bérangère Bonvoisin
Award: César Award 1991 Best Actor Nominee (Michel Serrault)
Sous les étoiles de Paris— available beginning June 30
- A homeless woman finds an 8-year-old Eritrean boy, sobbing in front of her shelter.
Director: Claus Drexel (2020)
Cast: Catherine Frot, Mahamahou Yaffa, Dominique Frot
Award: El Gouna Film Festival 2020 Golden Star Nominee